Marine Solutions uses a YSI 6920 V2 Multi-parameter Water Quality Sonde or a YSI EXO2 Water Quality Sonde for in situ water quality measurements, which include, but are not limited to, temperature, depth, pH, conductivity, salinity, turbidity, dissolved oxygen and chlorophyll. We have the capability to conduct deployments of the Sonde for continuous data recording over extended time periods, depending on the requirements of the given project. We are also experienced with the deployment and management of Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers (ADCP) and a wide range of other data loggers including Conductivity Temperature Depth (CTD) loggers. Marine Solutions also has a Nortek AWAC 1MHz vessel mounted ADCP unit, which enables real-time readings of back scatter and currents, primarily for plume verification. This includes calibration, field operation, data management and reporting. The sampling, techniques and constraints of water sampling in the southern regions of Tasmania are all well known to Marine Solutions, and we have strong relationships with support networks to ensure samples are handled and stored appropriately and then assessed in a timely manner.
Working closely with the Tasmanian aquaculture industry, Marine Solutions conducts regular water quality monitoring for the Tasmanian Shellfish Quality Assurance Program (TSQAP) and TasWater throughout southern Tasmania, including the D’Entrecasteaux Channel and Recherché Bay. We also conducted the environmental assessments for Spring Bay Seafoods, which recently resulted in them gaining international aquaculture sustainability accreditation through Friend of the Sea. We are one of only a few organisations that has been granted approval to sample treated abalone live-holding discharge water from processors for laboratory testing in the interests of biosecurity (granted as of mid-2013). In addition, Marine Solutions conducts a large amount of water quality monitoring for Sorell, Kingborough and Huon Valley Councils in relation to their effluent outfalls.
Selected Past Projects:
- Ecological assessment of public boardwalk development, Battery Point, Hobart (SKM/Hobart City Council; 2013)
- Ecological assessment of port development, Triabunna, Tasmania (Burbury Consulting/Glamorgan Spring Bay Council; 2013)
- Ecological assessment for marina redevelopment, Bellerive, Tasmania (Clarence City Council; 2012/13)
- Effluent outfall investigations (TasWater; 2009 – current)
- Outfall baseline surveys (Worley Parsons; 2011-12)
- Baseline marine surveys of sewage treatment plant, Medang, PNG (Marengo Mining/COFFEY; 2009-10)
- Marine ecological assessment for bridge redevelopment, Bridgewater Bridge (GHD; 2012)
- Environmental impact assessments for Macquarie Point sewage outfall and Hobart Rivulet, Derwent River, Hobart (Hobart City Council; 2008)
- Environmental impact assessment of effluent and wastewater disposal, Coffs Harbour, NSW (Coffs Harbour City Council; 2007)